Rejecting at SMTP time (Re: [Techtalk] Testing home mail server)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Feb 9 13:33:46 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005, Colleen Hatfield wrote:
> Silently discarding mail is a pretty scary proposition to me without
> being able to guarantee a 0% false positive rate.  Everyone has their
> own preferred way of dealing with such things though ;-).

I agree actually: I dump spam in a user's mail folder, and viruses get
dumped somewhere in /var. What I said about my own setup was inaccurate,
mainly because amavisd-new actually calls this behaviour "discarding"
(because no notification is sent to the supposed sender to alert them to
the fact that their mail triggered a filter).

-Mary