[Techtalk] raid array problems

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 29 10:42:51 EST 2005

Quoting Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org>:
> when I rebooted we could not mount the raid array

Software or hardware RAID? Have a look at 'dmesg' output for the
machine you rebooted.

> I did not set up the raid array, so my knowledge of it is limited.

I only know specifics about 3ware hardware RAID cards, but most RAID
setups come with monitoring software that would warn you if there are
problems. See if your boot messages give you enough information to
tell what kind of RAID you have, then look at the manufacturer's or
software vendor's site for information about monitoring.

If you have hardware RAID, there is usually a step in the boot process
where you can get into the BIOS level configuration for the RAID
card. If you are willing to reboot again, watch for that screen and
follow the directions - usually something like "hit F4 to
configure". The screens at that point will tell you about the
availability of the disks in the array.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu