[Techtalk] count pages of text file

Laurel Fan laurel.fan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:38:13 EST 2005

On 12/7/05, Noir <acknak_halflife at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a README text file that I need to print out.
> But I need to know how many pages it would be before I
> print it. Is there any tools or methods I can use to
> get the total page number?

It's hard to figure this out because it depends on the font size that
the printer will decide to use.  The way I would do it is to first use
enscript to generate a postscript file, see how many pages are in the
postscript file, and then print the postscript file.

One other benefit of using enscript is that if it ends up being too
long, it has tons of options for selecting the font and squeezing
multiple "pages" on each printed page.

--
Laurel Fan
http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org