[Techtalk] No DVDs for Linux?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Dec 1 16:47:07 EST 2005

Mary writes:
> been done for DVDs because DVD are physical objects distributed by
> commercial interests: there's no interest in a free standard because it
> would make copying easier.

Would it? I know the MPAA argues that, but I've always found that
argument confusing. I've never tried to copy a DVD, but can't you
just copy the bits from one disc onto another disc directly, without
ever needing to decode any CSS?

Certainly it would make it easier to take a DVD and encode it into
some other format like divx or mpeg. But that doesn't seem to be a
major part of their usual argument against deCSS; they usually
seem to be railing against DVD pirates, and I've never seen it
explained how deCSS fits into that picture at all.

	...Akkana