[Techtalk] running kppp when not logged in as root

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 06:02:33 EST 2005

On Monday 29 Aug 2005 04:07, Linda Y. Kuo wrote:
> I have searched on the internet, and no one seems to have a solution
> that works.
>
> I have RH 8 installed on my Thinkpad 600.
> I am able to connect to my ISP using kppp, but when I am not logged
> in as root, kppp asks for the root password. I don't want to have
> to gave it root password.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Sadly, no, but an observation that might help - Mandriva linux , when you are
setting up your internet connection, asks whether users should be allowed to
be able to make and break the connection.  This suggests to me that it's a
matter of permissions being set right. Might be worth tracking down kppp (or
ppp) on your system and checking what permissions are set for the
executable(s)?

Esme