[Techtalk] was Linux and intermittent connections (was home internet)

Mike kenziem at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 29 00:51:36 EST 2005

On August 27, 2005 9:12 pm, esme wrote:
> On Friday 26 Aug 2005 16:25, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:
> > Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> > > Israelis are addicted to cell phone use.  They take calls at
> > > restaurants, in the middle of meetings, everywhere...  I find it rude
> > > and obnoxious.  I don't want to see the rest of the world go that
> > > way.
> >
> > It is funny- some peopel here (Israel) think that the fact that I *turn
> > off* my phone is rude and obnoxious. I never understood that  (yeah, I
> > call my cellphone "my leash" as well).
>
> It's the childish "I want it NOW" attitude that far too many folk have
> these days;  "I want to talk to you NOW, how dare you be unobtainable?".
> The same people will use their mobiles without thought to the disturbance
> caused to those around them ("I want to talk NOW!").  My attitude is that
> my phone is for my convenience, not everybody els's (and most especially
> NOT

Well I  knew a fellow who felt that way about the land-line and didn't have a
phone in his house.
But to pull this back on topic, how do you keep a machine running OK when it
has an intermittent connection, or is powered off.  They are having brownouts
in my area this summer and keeping the machines running 7/24 is making less
sense.  I'm thinking about things like xntp, cron and network troubles if
nodes are powered off.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600