[Techtalk] was Linux and home Internet connections (has strayed OT a tad)

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 11:12:14 EST 2005

On Friday 26 Aug 2005 16:25, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:
> Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> > Israelis are addicted to cell phone use.  They take calls at
> > restaurants, in the middle of meetings, everywhere...  I find it rude
> > and obnoxious.  I don't want to see the rest of the world go that
> > way.
>
> It is funny- some peopel here (Israel) think that the fact that I *turn
> off* my phone is rude and obnoxious. I never understood that  (yeah, I
> call my cellphone "my leash" as well).

It's the childish "I want it NOW" attitude that far too many folk have these
days;  "I want to talk to you NOW, how dare you be unobtainable?".  The same
people will use their mobiles without thought to the disturbance caused to
those around them ("I want to talk NOW!").  My attitude is that my phone is
for my convenience, not everybody els's (and most especially NOT
double-glazing salesmen and the like!).

Personally, my views on that kind of childish ill-mannered attitude are
unprintable.

Esme