[Techtalk] Using a web browser to control stuff locally -eek!

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 06:21:30 EST 2005

On Sunday 21 Aug 2005 21:09, Jenn Vesperman wrote:

> I'm not sure of a specific tool to do what you're after, but I _do_ know
> that the reason it looks difficult to do as a web-browser thing is
> because you're trying to hammer a nail, but what you have in your hand
> is a monkey wrench, not a hammer. :)

:-} (mutter grumble....) was a perfectly good hammer back on the Amiga!
(mutter, grumble...) ;-)   :-}

> I'm pretty sure that by now, someone's pointed you in the direction of
> the tool you need.

Several. Too many for my liking, in fact. (chuckle...) And I made the mistake
of trying to use one of the web-page designer proggys KDE helpfully provides.
Damn. Should've used a text editor.  Upshot is I got confused, rapidly.

Sigh.  On the plus side, I chanced across Qt designer.  Which looked
interesting, so I played around with it, but can;t for the life of me see how
on earth you can make the buttons you can draw actually DO anything!

I feel like a kid kept out of the playground for no good reason. I want to
play! Why's every damned thing I try so flipping obscure, unecessarily
awkward or even just damned plain obstructive?! Aren't modern systems
supposed to be more powerful and easier to use than ones of Amiga 1200
vintage? Grrrr!  :-}

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Ah, well... I'll give myself a few days to get over being irritated, and just
try looking into the various things people have mentioned, to see if I
understand them.

Esme