[Techtalk] Using a web browser to control stuff locally -eek!

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 03:51:45 EST 2005

On Sunday 21 Aug 2005 17:27, Akkana Peck wrote:
> esme writes:
> > Ah, I see. Thanks, Mary.  As things stand, I don't have much interest in
> > web programming per se, hence my surprise at all the talk headed in that
>
> I thought the main point of the exercise was to learn web
> programming? I read the initial request as saying that you
> specifically wanted it to run in a web browser.

No, the object of the excercise is to try something I can get going very
simply that is also interesting/useful just to help rebuild my confidence.
That it may use HTML (or anything else web-related) is incidental to that.

> If not, there are lots of other possible approaches. I find
> python-gtk a nice solution for quick GUI apps, but there are lots of
> choices of languages and toolkits.  You could use NFS to make the
> music available to all machines on the network, or you could use rcp
> or ftp or ssh or other protocols to copy files from the server as
> needed.

Simplicity. :-}

> One thing about Linux is that there are generally lots of different
> ways to do anything you want to do. As the perl people like to say,
> "There's more than one way to do it". :-)

Yeah, I know - hence I'm hoping there's a really simple way I can get what I'd
like done. As in "utter beginner" simple, and without caring about going on
to better things later, or extensibility of the solution, etc.  That thing I
did way back with iXG was dead simple, once I;d got teh hang of teh iXG ML,
which wasn;t very dissimilar to HTML, as it turns out. Hence I thought I;d
have a head start on trying to do teh same thing under Linux. I never for one
second imagined it might be more difficult/complicated with Linux!  :-}

Esme