[Techtalk] Using a web browser to control stuff locally -eek!

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Aug 21 03:07:33 EST 2005

Patricia Fraser writes:
> > > (b) On the server machine, the one which has the music files, set
> > > up an Apache server.
> >
> > Does she really need to do that? Won't it work so long as the
> > user/player has permission to access the files?
>
> Kathryn's right, dangitall! Yes, you'll have to run Apache on the
> server.

Can someone say why? Certainly apache is needed to use cgi scripts
or php, but I'm not clear why it would be needed if Esme was just
running from html files using a browser that had a handler set up
to call her music player of choice (which might be a script she
wrote which then calls some other music player).

If she *does* set up apache, then cgi files might be the weapon of
choice after all. The only argument I was aware of against cgi was
that implementing them was more complicated because they require a
web server.

	...Akkana