[Techtalk] Using a web browser to control stuff locally -eek!

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 16:07:51 EST 2005

On Saturday 20 Aug 2005 03:26, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:24:52AM +0100, esme wrote:
> > How do you invoke a shell command from a web page?

I've just looked up what CGI means.  Damn! All I had to do on the Amiga was
create an ML page which I could either create to point at contents on the
Amiga itself, or include with multimedia files and players on the same floppy
disk as the ML file itself... my friend inserts floppy in their Amiga, opens
up the ML file in their browser, and voila! They have a hypertext document
that includes multimedia stuff that can be invoked simply by clicking on a
button.  Or, friend comes along and uses my PC, clicks on desktop icon and
gets a ML page that does the same thing playing stuff off my Amigas hard
drive.

It was pretty damned easy to do on the Amiga once you'd learnt the markup
language.  Isn't it so easy using Linux, then?  (I do realise that I'd need
to consider permissions, but that's OK - I understand those. Oh, and no, I am
NOT wanting folk out on the internet to be able to play stuff off of my
machine  - just people either sat at my computer or on the LAN it's (going to
be) connected to).

Esme