[Techtalk] Anyone here have experience working on a Cobalt Qube?

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 09:05:05 EST 2005

On 4/29/05, Emily Berk <emily at armadillosoft.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I've read that there is some sort of dance I need to do in order to make the Qube accessible via telnet, but I can't seem to figure out what the steps in the dance are.

Assuming it's running Cobalt OS, almost everything, including telnet,
gets configured via a web interface at http://<fqdn of
qube>/siteadmin/.  Basic stuff like the IP configuration gets done for
the first time using the buttons and LCD screen on the Qube itself,
then through the web interface afterwards.

> Feel free to contact me offlist, since I think the Qube may not actually be running Linux...

CobaltOS is based off of an old (6.2, IIRC) version of RedHat, so yes,
it is running Linux in its own special way ;-D.  CobaltOS was designed
to be really easy for non-admins to admin, but if you want something a
little more powerful and current you can run other distributions on
them.  I run Debian on my Raq 4i.  You should be able to run just
about any distro on the Qube 3/Raq 3/Raq 4 since those are x86.  The
Qube 1/Qube2/Raq 1/Raq 2 are MIPS, so then you're limited to
distributions that support the MIPS architecture (at least Debian and
Gentoo that I'm aware of).

- Colleen, who wants a Qube 2 or Raq 2 to go with her Raq 4 ;-)