[Techtalk] eximconfig rejecting my mailing list posts

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Sat Apr 16 03:02:42 EST 2005

Urk!  I'm running exim-4.44 with eximconfig-2.1 filtering incoming mail on
my internet facing SMTP server.  I've suddenly noticed that my posts to
mailing lists are getting rejected by my mail server with

	"Sender <...> is attempting to use forged local or relay header
	From: address <...>"

Now, this is because mail sent by me to a mailing list is returned to me
with my own address as the From: address.  This check exists within
eximconfig to reject spam claiming to be from me coming in on the external
interface.  Is there any way to stop the rejections for the genuine
messages while still rejecting the spoofed ones?.

This server is _not_ my outgoing server (at least not yet), I use postfix
internally and my ISP's SMTP server as smart-host.

For instance, I won't get a copy of this message 'cos it'll get rejected
by my SMTP server.  Which also explains my triple post on the topic "sun
hardware"!  I'll get your replies though...

Any thoughts?

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)