[Techtalk] Email failure messages

Listpig listpig at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 15:43:43 EST 2004

(ooh, a tech question actually in pig's vague area of semi-expertise!)  :)

Hard to say, they don't give you enough information.  (some ISPs are very
informative, some treat the least bit of info as gold.)

Could be blacklist, but *usually* bounces will say if it's due to an RBL
listing (and which one); could be the ISP level spam filters.  But if I had
to put money on it (and I wouldn't put much on a certainty) I'd say that
assuming 1.2.3.4 is an IP# that it's a ISP mail server level filter of some
sort.

It should only be the individual's if they're running their own mail
service: this was rejected by a mail server, rather than being accepted,
delivery attempted and failing, and then a bounce being sent, which is what
you'd see if it were the individual's filters at the ISP level.

The problem with munging an address is asking for bounce debugging (and I do
a great deal of bounce debugging at RootsWeb) is that in order to try to
extract exactly who and what are being rejected, the real information helps.
If the object is to keep it out of the archives and you want a more precise
guess, feel free to send me the bounce directly.

--pig