[Techtalk] Email failure messages

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Sep 29 11:11:23 EST 2004

Hello gurus,

I am not an email server administrator, although I do have a reasonable
amount of high-level knowledge of how email works.

I get a bounce message whenever I try to send email to a particular
addresss (name at some.net below).  Normally I would think that the address
is incorrect, but for other reasons I believe this not to be the case.

Other bounce messages I've seen that use the text "does not like
recipient" have given reasons like "User unknown" instead of "Access
denied".  I'm wondering if the below means that my IP address is on a
blacklist used by some.net?  Or possibly my email address specifically
(this is not out of the question given the technical knowledge of
name at some.net and the nature of our relationship).

I've done some googling on this but can only find examples of similar
messages in archived mailing lists, not anything that explains what the

Explanations or pointers to explanations gratefully accepted!  If I'm on
a blacklist, I'd like to ask the lister why and try to get off it.

Rachel