[Techtalk] question re: compiling/installing binutils stripped

Darlene Wallach wallachd at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 12:25:56 EST 2004

I've been downloading, compiling and installing the software
and versions of software required for gcc-3.4.2

After installing binutils I started making sure the new
versions would be used under /usr/local/bin vs /usr/bin
I noticed the new versions were not stripped. I looked
at configure and Makefile to look for an option to
compile/install stripped. I have not found what I need
to tell either configure or make so I get a stripped
version.

Is there a reason I would want the not stripped version
if I don't plan on debugging the binutils?

I apologize if I'm missing the obvious.

Thank you for any assistance,

Darlene