[Techtalk] First time upgrading hard drive

Dennis Wheeler dennis.wheeler at vidiator.com
Sun Sep 26 14:26:38 EST 2004

Thanks Devdas, that was the step I was missing.
(And Carla, I mis-spoke about the post info -- got my techno-speak
confused)

I'm still having trouble though... using Knoppix as my rescue cd:

I had created a separate boot partition /dev/hda1 maps to /boot
But from knoppix, it mounts as /mnt/hda1
So the original grub directory is /mnt/hda1/grub

I ran
  grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda1 /dev/had

This creates a new grub directory /mnt/hda1/boot/grub

So when trying to boot, I end up with /boot/boot/grub

I get a kernel panic unable to find init (or intrid or something like
that)

Do I need to just move all the kernel files and such from /boot into
/boot/boot ?
Or how can I tell grub-install to create the new grub dir in the correct
location in the first place?

Or do I simply modify my grub.conf file to point to
	kernel ../vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd ../initrd-2.4.20-8.img
instead of
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
(because the comments say its relative to the boot dir which seems to
have moved to /boot/boot now)

Thanks,
-- Dennis

Ps feel free to cc: me if you'd like, because I'm on the digest list,
and I actually didn't see Friday night's replys until late Saturday
night.