[Techtalk] First time upgrading hard drive

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:50:20 EST 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:43:17 -0700, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2004 6:36 pm, Dennis Wheeler wrote:
> > Hello, I tried to follow the howtos on upgrading a hard drive, but I
> > must have missed a step somewhere, because the new drive won't boot.
> >
> > I merely get a blank screen with a blinking cursor -- no post info
> >

> Would you mind clarifying a bit- there are no POST messages at all? Or does it
> do the normal POST/BIOS sequence, then stop with some kind of "disk not
> found" error?

I'm with Carla on wanting to know more about the output from the BIOS.
 If there is nothing at all (no logo or memory check or "Press F1 to
enter setup") then you have another problem besides not setting up
your bootloader.  The last time this happened to me, I hadn't
completely seated my cpus! (Fortunately, no harm done.) Usually the
BIOS failing to even POST means there's some sort of electrical
problem - short in a wire, something not fully plugged in, cpus
non-existent... I would suggest going back over all the connections
you touched and reconnecting them.

-VAL