[Techtalk] ADSL modems

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Sep 25 00:36:27 EST 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:56:39PM +1000, John Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:52:46 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > The question I'm wondering about is whether I should buy my own ADSL
> > modem or just go with the ones they provide.
>
> The only advantage I can see in buying one from your new ISP is that it
> should come properly configured for their service.

(nods)

> The basic ADSL
> modems are very simple to configure though -- there's not much to do.

> If you get a modem with ethernet (and I recommend you do), you simply
> configure your PC to use dhcp for the external interface, and setup the
> modem.

Um, excuse me for asking what is perhaps a stupid question, but why
would one attach the modem to a PC instead of to the router?

(thanks for the links, I'll look at them later)

> > A lot of these ADSL modems seem to have built-in routers as well.  Not
> > being a network guru, how would that complicate things, to connect a
> > router to a router?  Would it make things harder to set up?  It they
> > both have NAT, how would I unconfuse things?
>
> Double NAT might cause problems for some protocols (ipsec maybe?), but
> I would expect it to mostly work fine.

Hmmmm.

> Don't forget the line filters too.  You need either a central splitter
> which splits your incoming telephone line into separate voice and data
> lines, or one inline splitter for each socket on that line.  You're
> supposed to get an Austel-approved technician to install a central
> splitter, but the in-line ones you can do yourself.

Yes, I was expecting to have to get at least one line filter; but you
can get them from Dick Smith's I think.

Kathryn Andersen