[Techtalk] ADSL modems

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Sep 23 21:52:46 EST 2004

Having just taken a look at my online bill (for some reason they
weren't emailing me the earlier ones) and having nearly fallen off my
chair (my new ISP doesn't give unlimited time, but I'd thought that the
allocated time would be enough) it is probably time to bite the bullet
and get ADSL.  I've gone over to Whirlpool to look at providers, and
have narrowed it down to one or two...

The question I'm wondering about is whether I should buy my own ADSL
modem or just go with the ones they provide.
Pro: a provided modem will probably have the right settings all pre-done
Con: it might more expensive than getting the same one elsewhere
Con: the modems I've looked at by the provider on the top of my list
look as if they're more than I need, because *I already have a router*
of my own (yes, I did end up getting the wireless router I was querying
about earlier, and managed to set up the wireless network with my laptop
without too much difficulty...)

A lot of these ADSL modems seem to have built-in routers as well.  Not
being a network guru, how would that complicate things, to connect a
router to a router?  Would it make things harder to set up?  It they
both have NAT, how would I unconfuse things?

Or are there any *simple* ADSL modems which you folk would reccommend?
(I'm in Australia, so I might not be able to get the latest and
greatest...)

advTHANKSance

Kathryn Andersen