[Techtalk] questions re installing gcc-3.4.2

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:28:32 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:54:33 -0700, Darlene Wallach
<wallachd at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I have RedHat7.3
>
> I want to install gcc-3.4.2.
> I have downloaded gcc-3.4.2, gcc-g++,  and gcc-java.
> What is gcc-core? How do I know if I need it or not?
Hi Darlene,

The (somewhat silly) answer is that if you can rpm install the other
packages without installing gcc-core, then you don't need it. :) rpm
will usually tell you when you need another package.

The more interesting answer is that, after typing "gcc-core" into
Google, it seems like gcc-core is the source package for gcc.  Unless
you plan on compiling gcc from scratch (a daunting task, last I
heard), I don't suggest installing it.

Wow, using Redhat 7.3?  I bet there's an interesting story behind that
(although it sounds like the kind of thing I'd do just for the heck of
it, too).

Hope that you're having fun with gcc!

-VAL

P.S. I'm trying out gmail for the first time - apologies if line
lengths are off or anything like that.