[Techtalk] Linux and Laptops

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:34:43 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:01:50 -0700 (PDT), Mag Mu <maggmu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Does anyone have a good recommendation for a linux
> compatible laptop?  I am getting a new system and I am
> excited to put linux on a laptop but I am afraid I
> might run into driver/compatibility issues.  I don't
> want to do a dual boot either.
>
> thanks!!
>
> Mags

Once you've narrowed it down to a few choices, if you know people who
own the laptops you're interested in you might try booting them from
one or more of the various Linux live CD's and see what works and what
doesn't.  It's obviously not a foolproof method as it depends on the
live CD to detect the hw and load the correct modules, but at least
you'll know that the bits that do work from a live CD can be made to
work with Linux.  A local store might let you do this too, but I don't
know how they feel about random people coming in and booting their
computers from random CDs...  If you go to a LUG, maybe you could
check out some of the members' laptops also and ask what their
experiences have been.

- Colleen