[Techtalk] duplicate bash history entries

Dennis Wheeler dennis.wheeler at vidiator.com
Mon Sep 13 09:25:55 EST 2004

According to the man page, it appears it only compares the current
command to the previous one. So two 'ls' in a row, and only one is
remembered, but do an 'ls' followed by a 'cd' and another 'ls' and
you'll have both 'ls' in the history.

Not a very useful setting if that's true.

You might have more luck with HISTIGNORE instead

-- Dennis