[Techtalk] compiling a bunch of HTML files

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Sep 10 09:35:30 EST 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:35:16PM +0300, Jaroslaw Fedevych (UALUG wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:11:22AM +0100, Noir wrote:
> >
> > My plan is to put them in one file and convert to pdf
> > (OpenOffice).
>
> I have used html2latex and TeXmacs. The first is rather
> selective about html it's gonna be fed, and the latter is
> better, but painfully slow. I have tried OOO, but it's too
> slow for me, either :) You may have a look at the two
> alternatives I've mentioned if the results don't satisfy
> you.

For my fanzine, I prefer people to send me submissions in plain text,
and I have this chain of conversions:

text -(txt2html)-> HTML -(html2latex)-> latex -(lyx)-> lyx

and then mess about with it in lyx to make it how I want it, and then

lyx -(lyx)-> latex -(tex)-> ps -(ps2pdf)-> pdf

If you have trouble with the HTML -> latex conversion, one can make the
HTML nicer with "tidy".
And of course there are a couple of other routes between latex and
PDF, such as pdftex and the one whose name escapes me which converts
from dvi to PDF.

Kathryn Andersen