[Techtalk] Net werk ghost

Andrew showwork at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 19:34:36 EST 2004

After up-grading to Mandrake 10, from Mdk 9.2, I've had a odd situation with my network connection.
The start up messages warned the network  connection was not working, but for more
than a month or two, it did in fact, work. After returning from vacation,
after 3 weeks of the box being off, the Mdk 10 start-up messages are now correct, the
network connection, now does not work. Neither of the 2 nic's work with Mdk 10,
I am now using, at this second, and have used both nic's on the/this very same box,
with the KnoppixCD over the past two days, while trying to learn how to fix Mandrake.

 Trying --> Manual,  entering ot text in "ect/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-ethx"
and new Mandrake Control Center settings are ignored.  and produce no results.  Erasing and making new, the connections with Mandrake Control Center didn't help. Killing the main power between attempts didn't do nuth'n.
	I have not yet shorted the cmos pins, could that help, the battery is new. Are some network boot settings kept in cmos?

    Before I go and  remove the entire OS and start again, I could use some advice
on how to safely remove the module settings and the modules themselves. (And do I need to reinstall them? or will Mdk Control center install them for me?)
  Any Help would be appreciated.
    I am a bit farther into the Command line than I am comfortable with.

    The question is,  which one's should I remove, One nic is, On M-board sis900,
and the other is a PCI  3com905. * What else should I remove??*  Oh,,, and how much of it will return automatically, be reconfigured by the OS? Do I need to go out and get something after removing it??
	Also in a recient move the PCI 3com was dislodged and didn't show up in lspci, it reset it, in it's slot. It is what I am using to write this text. with the KnoppixCD. KnoppixCD had no problem finding and using ether nic.

        One message I kept getting after "service network restart"  was "already
a configd for eth0"   Should I remove the entire folder-directory for configd eth0 or
just it's contents? (it could be spelled ifcfgd?).

 I think there is something left over from Mdk 9.2, that is mucking up the networks-settings.

  Below are two previous pieces of adviceI recived on irc:

  I could use a bit more info...

>I would remove my modules and for the cards lsmod and rmmod  and check /etc/modules
>and /etc/modprobe.conf  then run drakconnect before I reinstalled my whole os.

><alakdan> drew-: try as root lsmod
><alakdan> to enumerate modules
><alakdan> rmmod to remove

 Thanks in Advance,