[Techtalk] Procite Alternative

Jaroslaw Fedevych (UALUG jaroslaw at linux.org.ua
Thu Sep 2 17:59:22 EST 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:31:42AM +1000, Sue Stones wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a Linux version of Procite or an=20
> alternative to it.  I haven't used procite but according to my uni=20
> website its a database program which enables you to organise=20
> bibliographic references, and produce reference lists in a range of=20
> standard and custom styles.
>=20

What I am thinking of: a database (1 table exactly, no more complex
that /etc/passwd file), containing author, title, publisher, ISBN etc.,
and awk/perl script which takes out data needed and tailors it up
to your need. Should be easy.

A more complex solution would generate BibTeX stuff, I suppose.

> I guess that even if there isn't one, it wouldn't be too hard to create=
=20
> one.  (I am thinking this out as I type!)  The only problem is working=20
> out what is actually required for the correct referencing style - and=20
> wanting to avoid this is probably why I am thinking about this software=
.=20

That varies in different countries. You most probably should look up
a reference already made in proper fashion, and try to work something
similar.

>  Still if I wrote something I could make it available to the few Linux=20
> users that are out there at CSU!
>=20
> Has anyone done anything similar to this?

For paperwork, BibTeX was all I needed... But I have made everything
in LaTeX,unfortunately, not all people are willing to do the Right Thing.=
 ;)

--=20
=F0=C5=D2=C5=C4=DE=C1=D3=CE=C1 =CF=D0=D4=C9=CD=A6=DA=C1=C3=A6=D1 -- =CB=CF=
=D2=A6=CE=D8 =D5=D3=D8=CF=C7=CF =DA=CC=C1.
	=E4. =E5. =EB=CE=D5=D4