[Techtalk] lilo dual boot

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Oct 20 08:28:26 EST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:56:58AM +0100 or thereabouts, Noir wrote:
> I have Slack 9.1 (2.6.7 kernel) with XP dual boot. I
> had to re-install XP and Lilo has been overwritten. So
> it just boots XP and does not give me LILO.
>
> XP is in /dev/hda1 and Slack is in /dev/hda2. How can
> I get my LILO prompt back without re-installing Slack?
>
> I already booted from the CD (I don't have a floopy)
> and did /sbin/lilo. It gives me "Partition 2 on
> /dev/hda is not marked active.

This looks like lilo is trying to install to /dev/hda2 rather than the MBR
(/dev/hda).  Did you chroot to your installed system first?  Something like:

o boot from CD in 'rescue' mode
o mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
o chroot /mnt
o mount -a (to mount other partitions under /)
o /sbin/lilo -v -v (-v for extra info)
o umount -a
o exit
o umount -a
o reboot

> Added DOS*
> Added Linux"

> I guess I need to move the "*" from DOS to Linux.

No, that just sets the default OS to boot.  Of course, you _could_ move it
to linux 'cos naturally you would want to boot linux by default :-)  It's
not relevant to your current problem though.

A look at your /etc/lilo.conf would be helpful.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.