Mapping the real world to the Internet (Was Re: [Techtalk] 216 ssh login attempts, what to do?)

Listpig listpig at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 13 13:54:56 EST 2004

Which is just one of the reasons (deep lawyer-paying pockets is another) why
there's more interest in folks who hack big corporations than folks who hack
individuals--provable economic damage.

The law is perpetually behind the times, visibly so in the fast changing
world of computers and networking. I think there's still an unspoken
presumption that no *real* damage is done by hacking a home computer as long
as there's no hardware damage.  Yeah, you might have to reformat/reinstall
and lose everything on there, but nobody does anything with a computer in
their home but play games and email Aunt Sally, right?

<sigh>

--pig