[Techtalk] Newbie & crontab

Raena Lea-Shannon raen7 at ihug.com.au
Tue Nov 16 23:30:55 EST 2004

First thanks for the responses. I am learning but not there yet. I hope I am
close. I have searched SuSE KDB it is pretty scant on crontab.

I tried Carla's suggestion first as it looked the easiest:

I wrote a script called Tivo.

This is my Tivo script (no fancy $ variables I am afraid. (One thing at a
crontab);
#!/bin/bash
#Record TV Programs
# This script requires mencoder and TV card to be installed.
mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l:input=1:width=480:height=324 -oac copy -ovc copy
-endpos 00:40:00 -o /home/Raena/TEMP/tvprogram.avi

I  it put it in /usr/local/bin and chmod 755'd and it runs OK from BASH.
Then I

$ crontab -e  0 20 * * 1  <scriptname>

but

when I edit $ crontab -e  0 20 * * 1  <scriptname>
I get error and so I just did
crontab -e
and type edited the file, comme ci...

0 20 * * 1 Tivo

This did not work. I actually used 30 21 * * 2   Tivo
being it is now Tuesday night :-)

I tried it with root # crontab too but no luck.

I did get messages in /var/log/messages that indicated that the crontab
clicked over but the Environment PATH thing is still not working. I assume.

I had a look at Conor's HOWTO for mondoarchive I understood the gist but I am
afraid that was a bit too difficult to fullly adapt/comprehend.

I tried to work out what to do with this, here is my guess that failed:

o echo '#!/bin/bash' > Tivo
o echo 'PATH=$PATH' >> /usr/local/bin/
o vi Tivo

I called it Tivo-cron.

and made a crontab in root

30 21 * * 2   Tivo-cron

This too failed.

Any further advice further and more greatly appreciated.

Raena