[Techtalk] Can't get to http://linuxchix.org

Jennifer Scalf jscalf at pegasus.rutgers.edu
Thu Nov 11 11:00:25 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:05, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 3:24 am, David Sumbler wrote:
> > For some weeks now I have not been able to visit the LinuxChix
> > web-site, as I reported previously.
>
> Dancer posted this on Volunteers:
>
> "If you are using a late-model 2.6 kernel, you will want to put:
> net/ipv4/tcp_default_win_scale=0
> in your /etc/sysctl.conf (or equivalent).
>
> 2.6 introduces a new tcp_default_win_scale that tickles many routing
> bugs in TCP streams in assorted hardware. Some of that hardware is
> between nest and the world (I had a hell of a time trying to figure out
> why I couldn't ssh into nest through some routes for a while)."

Fedora Core 2 specific advice:
I added
net.ipv4.tcp_default_win_scale = 0
to /etc/sysctl.conf
and then ran
/sbin/sysctl -p

And it worked!

Please thank Dancer for me, this was driving me nuts! I'm also using
Fedora Core 2 (well it will be Core 3 tomorrow :), kernel 2.6 and as you
might know I haven't been able to get to linuxchix for awhile.

I also couldn't get to a couple of other important websites but now I
can. I'm so happy.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

(does this make up for the grrls-only posts I had about this when I was
fumbling with mtr? >:)