[Techtalk] Fedora Core 3 and SELinux

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 02:27:28 EST 2004

I believe that Fedora Core 3 is to be released today.

I run Fed. Core 2, and have no immediate need to upgrade, but a time
will come when updates are no longer provided for FC2 and then I shall
need to think about what to do next.

The obvious thing would be to upgrade to FC3 (or 4 or whatever they're
up to by then).

But I am not entirely happy about the idea of SELinux.  True, you can
supposedly opt not to have it enabled, (and true it exists in FC2, but
disabled by default.)

Even so, I am not happy with the idea that my system depends on
something created by an arm of the American (or any) government.  This
is perhaps irrational, in view of the fact that SELinux is issued
under the GNU licence - and I never check the integrity of the code of
anything else I use (not that I'm capable of doing that anyway!)  How
do I know that every aspect of SELinux is disabled, and that Dubya and
his men aren't doing something nasty with my machine?

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this.

David