[Techtalk] New to the list

Marleen Garcia d.lineate at skynet.be
Sun Nov 7 10:03:42 EST 2004

litlone wrote:

> I love the graphics programs that windows offers and am hesitant to
> switch my system over to linux because of this alone. He has explained
> that I can run a windows interface and that is all well and good except
> the windows interface can't exactly tell you which programs will run and
> which ones won't.

You might start with Knoppix if you just want a view of Linux. Linux
is as graphical as windows, but doesn't need to be.

Knoppix is a bootable CD that will run Linux for you entirely from
CD; you won't have to install a thing on your hard drive. Think of it
as a demo. It will go graphical on you after a few detection screens.
In the graphical environment you will see a menu comparable to the
start menu in windows. You can further explore Linux and its great
graphical programs from there. It will be a great introduction into
Linux :)

You can download it here, it's just one CD:
http://www.knoppix.org

Marleen