[Techtalk] trying to get xmon to work...

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Fri Nov 5 18:26:09 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:34:23AM +0100, Riccarda Cassini wrote:

> Well, that's what I did.  I spent quite some time analysing the X logs,
> and I think I've even found what the problem is (with some more help,
> admittedly).  Yet, I have no idea how to fix it, or whether it can be
> fixed at all...
> (...)
> On Linux, the extension is obviously called "MIT-SCREEN-SAVER" (that's
> also what xdpyinfo lists).  So, everything is fine, if that name is
> requested.  OTOH, when AIX asks for "SCREEN-SAVER", Linux just responds
> with "sorry, haven't got that"...
> I guess, I'd have to patch either the AIX X libraries (at least in
> theory), or the X server code on the Linux side, to make them agree on
> the name.

Well, you could write yet another port forwarder that essentially does
s/SCREEN-SAVER/MIT-SCREEN-SAVER/ if there's a QueryExtension request,
passing on everything else unmodified.  You'd simply plug it into the
chain of redirectors already used:

                 --------
                 X client
                 --------
                 :2 |
      --------------------------------
      s/SCREEN-SAVER/MIT-SCREEN-SAVER/
      --------------------------------
                 :1 |
                  -----
                  xmond  (if you still need it...)
                  -----

                   ---
                   ssh
                   ---
                 :0 |
                 --------
                 X server
                 --------

Wouldn't that be a nice little project for the weekend? ;))

Almut