[Techtalk] trying to get xmon to work...

dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Thu Nov 4 20:02:48 EST 2004

Hi Riccarda,

Riccarda Cassini <riccarda.cassini at gmx.de> writes:

> [...]
> According to the manpage, I did
>
> $ xmonui | xmond
>
> This brings up a GUI (where I can configure what exactly to intercept),
> while xmond is meant to listen on ":1" (by default), where I'm expected
> to point my X program to, by setting DISPLAY to the appropriate value.
> The transcribed X messages are supposed to be written to stdout.
>
> So, in another terminal, I setup
>
> $ export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0

Is there an X server running on this display?
The "localhost" in there means that a TCP/IP connection is established.
Normally your own X server runs on something like ":0" -- which means
"local" transport -- and TCP/IP connections are refused.

For example on my Debian system, the file /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
(which is read by startx) contains the following:
exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

The last two words should be self-explanatory.

> and tried to start various X programs. This does not work, however.
> Problem is, I always get
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server "localhost:1.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> [...]
>
> Can't open connection to Server

This could indicate that in fact no X server is listening on
this DISPLAY.

I quickly tried the following:

$ xauth list
# export DISPLAY=:0
# xauth add ....
# xmonui -display :0 | xmond

There are no error messages, but unfortunately no other output either.
I've never used these tools, so I have no idea how to make them display
something.

hope this helps,
dominik