[Techtalk] new

litlone litlone at cox.net
Mon Nov 1 06:41:13 EST 2004

I believe I did join NewChix also, but I joined techtalk  because even
though I don't know the technical terms as of it, I will require technical
terms as I begin to work on the Linux boxes. I spend approximately 8 to 10
hours a day on a computer so I  tend to not take a lot of time to get use
to the system. As far as demeaning comments, those don't phase me at least
they don't as long as it is not intentionally meant to put me down. I know
that sometimes bringing yourself down to a level of newness is often
difficult and at times can't be done. I have three children each of which
learns in different ways, because I, homeschool them I have to be able to
switch gears rapidly and sometimes I don't and I get that look of "WHAT?"
So I have to take a step back and rethink how to explain to the 10 year old
differently from the 12 & 14 year old.

 >>>Next, what programs are you using under windows now that you want to be
able to do under Linux, and why do you like that software in the first
place? <<<<<

I have Jasc Photoshop, Terragen, Bryce, Poser, Coffee Cup, eventually I
might switch to Adobe Photoshop but at $700.00 bucks a shot that is almost
a months worth of groceries in my house. LOL. Those are the ones I use the
most. Some of them I do believe can be run on linux but it means rebuying
them again and they are a bit expensive to repurchase. I know that Gimp is
a graphic program that can run on linux and I downloaded a window version
to see what the differences are compared to Jasc. I do not know any
comparable linux programs for the others. The reason I like these programs
is because of the cost factor involved for me. Doesn't matter the
environment I can learn new methods it is knowing which products that are
comparable under a linux environment or at least an interface program that
will run them that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

My biggest dilemma right now is learning what programs are comparable to
the ones listed above or must I run an interface program? And if I do have
to run an interface program which is the better one? Though I do understand
that if I have a large enough harddrive I can run both windows and linux on
my system. That is also an option that I am considering.

Anyhow thanks for the time.

And when I do get a technical question I will post it to see if I can
connect with an answer that I can grasp.

Litlone