[Techtalk] backport v compile from source for Debian

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Sat May 29 20:19:10 EST 2004

On 28/05/04 13:58 -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is there a reason to use a backport, rather than building from sources
> your
> own self? for example, you want to run Postfix from Unstable on Woody.
> Building from sources is pretty easy, why would you want to use a
> backport?
To use the package managers features. For example, with RPM, I get
md5sum verification in as a free benefit of installing via RPMs.
Uninstallation is also much easier with the package managers.
Linux needs a make deinstall option for all source packages.

Of course, I recommend installing Postfix from source, since it usually
is never uninstalled :P
Preferably install the snapshot, or Ralf's patched snapshot.

Devdas Bhagat
PS: Not a Debian guru, but I will answer anyway.