[Techtalk] poll: fave Linux IMAP MUA

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon May 17 13:09:03 EST 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 01:03:34PM -0600 or thereabouts, Andrea Landaker wrote:
> > To get the poll rolling, I'll cast two votes. Suckiest IMAP performance
> > goes to KMail. Which admittedly needs some work, and the developers are
> > working on it.

Very useful thread. I am finally succumbing tentatively to the
possibility that IMAP might be necessary soon. Trouble is, I like
text mailers. And mutt in particular. So I am not sure how reassured
I am by the thread as a whole :)

> In fact, maybe that's something people could also respond to -- what cool
> things do you do with your e-mail that make it faster, easier to read, or
> otherwise nifty?

The biggest single time-saver for me was when I started using
procmail to sort things into folders. But I think nearly everyone
does that these days.

I like being able to say "show this HTML email, but don't start
mozilla; use Lynx". Very handy on slow boxes, heavily-loaded boxes,
at the console, and over a network.

The other huge time-saver was learning that just because I am
on a mailing list doesn't mean I have to read everything on it.
"Delete all", "delete the rest of this thread", "delete everything
by this person", "delete everything older than this". They make
sure a huge difference.

I am sure that the next big timesaver is going to be getting
spam-filtering working better. I just need to get around to it.

Telsa