[Techtalk] Two quick questions: linking /dev/parport0 and nolsmod, modprobe, etc.

housekm at fastmail.fm housekm at fastmail.fm
Sat May 15 17:38:57 EST 2004

Well, now I've done it -

Anthony, in trying to come up with the exact error message and being too
lazy and emabarassed to ask or look up how to pipe to /dev/null (I know,
it's so standard Linux fare, I've seen it a million times, but didn't
bother to learn how to use it), I did this - #lsmod | errmess, then
#lsmod >> errmess, in /sbin.  Nothing went into errmess, needless to say,
but when I logged in as non-root and started x, I got a huge number of
errorlines for modprobe.  Exited x, the machine sharted filling screens
with errorlines for modprobe, ctl/alt/del didn't work, powered off/on and
the thing hangs up almost immediately.  Restarted several times, and now
it doesn't get past configuring kernel parameters, within that "setting
hostname Bertie.localdomain"

I think I've killed it. Unfortunately, all I have is a boot disk and I'm
clueless as to what to do with that.   The rescue disk went back to the
library with its much overdue book.

  <sigh>  There's a whole lot of little aliai I didn't copy & save on
  diskette, & some libraries & of course the headache of getting my
  dialup scipt to work again, but at least I didn't have anything
  -important- on it.

Kathleen
(hoping no one takes this *at all* as an effort to blame Anthony, I hate
life too much at the moment to deal with stupid flames)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:13:13 -0700, "Anthony Gorecki"
<anthony at futurepoint.com> said:

                          or over the web