[Techtalk] Two quick questions: linking /dev/parport0 and no lsmod, modprobe, etc.

housekm at fastmail.fm housekm at fastmail.fm
Sat May 15 14:39:57 EST 2004

Hi, all,

Can't afford a USB scanner just now, so it's back to trying to get this
Epson parallel one to work.  It occurred to me that I may need to make a
virtual link to /dev/parport0, which is where this PC_STYLE device is
detected.  For SANE, does anyone know what I should link it to?

Also, it appears that setting a module flag *somewhere* may work, but
root can't run lsmod or any of the mods!  Even when I go to /sbin and
source it, I get a totally bizarre error message regarding, of all
things, ELF.  But the kernel can run the mods all day long - the syslog
is full of lsmod, etc, output messages.  Anyone know why even root can't
run the -mod- programs?

Thanks very much.

Kathleen