[Techtalk] network failure help!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri May 14 07:45:21 EST 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 10:21:30PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 13/05/04 21:19 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Something in the defaults changed for the laptop?
> >
> > Or the desktop?
> Your laptop has been on another network, where parameters may have
> changed. As you have indicated till now, there have been no changes in
> the desktop's network environment.

Hmmm, but I didn't think there had been changes in the laptop's network
environment either -- I mean, this swapping over between the work
network and the home network didn't used to cause any problems.

> Oh, and if you don't have tcpdump, there is ethereal (and the command
> line client, tethereal).
It's okay, I installed tcpdump, though the output doesn't mean much:

07:42:34.378715 0:2:e3:1f:d9:b4 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0806 42: arp who-has
192.168.33.2 tell 192.168.33.1

is the kind of thing that comes out when it's trying to ping -- which
shows me that the IP addresses are what I expected them to be.