[Techtalk] network failure help!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu May 13 07:30:49 EST 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:32:24PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 12/05/04 20:45 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> <snip>
> > This is the output of "ifconfig" at the moment (ppp0 is up because I'm
> > dialled in right now)
> Desktop? Laptop?
Oh, the Desktop.

> <snip>
> > This is the output of "dmesg | grep eth0"

> > eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xc8933000, 00:02:e3:1f:d9:b4, IRQ 10.
> > eth0: autonegotiation did not complete in 4000 usec.
> You can force autonegotiation with mii-tool.
> A tcpdump of network traffic during autonegotiation might help.
> This type of problem usually occurs if one of the interfaces involved is
> set at a different speed from the other.

Thanks!  I've never heard of mii-tool before.
I did a restart autonegotiation wit mii-tool but that didn't work.
I was going to ask you how to do a tcpdump, but since the mii-tool told
me what speeds both interfaces were capable of, I thought I'd try the
"force" option to set the highest common speed -- and that seemed to
work.  It still doesn't tell me why autonegotiation failed, though.

Thanks again.

Kathryn "connected" Andersen