[Techtalk] [Slightly OT] Does anyone have experience using M$ Access with MySQL?

Tamara L. Cravit tcravit at taylored-software.com
Thu May 6 23:11:45 EST 2004

I know this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have experience using
Microsoft Access together with a MySQL server?

My partner is setting up a Web site, and created an Access database using
the MyODBC driver to populate the database. The Access thing has two forms
in it, pointing at two different tables. Changes to one table go through
fine, but changes to the other return an "Another user has modified the
record that you have modified" error message.

I've tried the suggestiosn in the FAQ[1], but to no avail, and for the life
of me I can't see anything that's different between the two tables.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup and any ideas about what's
going on? Alternately, does anyone know of a good Win32 front end for a
MySQL server? (The big feature my partner's looking for is the ability to
use a drop-down to pick a related record from another table -- in this case,
the category ID for the record). We have SQLYog, but that doesn't support
the drop-down for related tables thing.

Personally, I'm a Linux geek so I'm content with typing in the category ID
numbers manually, but my partner isn't, so I'm trying to find another
solution.

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

[1] - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector/odbc/en/faq_4.html#Write_conflict