[Techtalk] Evil alternate screens in gnome-terminal

Avery Ke avery at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 30 09:48:42 EST 2004

jm wrote:
>Ignore this if I misunderstand the problem, but if the issue
>is to keep the screen from clearing what it had been displaying after
>you exit man (or after you view anything displayed by your default
>pager), you can disable that by setting your $PAGER variable to
>'less -X'.  Hope this helps someone...

Thanks. I've added a line to my .bashrc file :)
alias less='less -rX'
(-r causes `^A'  to appear on screen simply as `A')

However, the default pager for man on my box (debian unstable) is
/usr/bin/lv which does not, as far as I can see, have an option
equivalent to -X.

Avery

--

 "That would be an interesting thing for them: it would cause one
  of those little thrills of pleasant excitement and conjectural

				-- E.F. Benson (Queen Lucia)