[Techtalk] Linux accounting program

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Mar 29 11:53:12 EST 2004

Ok my little gurus, it's time I weaned myself away from Quicken. It's a nice
program, but I'm like so totally bored with having to fire up the windoze
box. Anyone have thoughts on a home finances program for Linux? I have a good
grounding in basic accounting, so it doesn't have to be all candyass like
Quicken.  :)

I hear nice things about Gnucash. Moneydance is supposed to be pretty good,
but I wonder how long they'll be around. Moneydance already died once, after
Appgen abandoned it. Kapital sounds nice, if it's really ready for primetime.

I need to do tax tracking and reporting, investment tracking, budgeting, and
the usual expenses/income stuff, and I like to generate all kinds of reports
on whatever data I feel like at the moment. And print hard copies of
registers and reports. Long learning curve is OK, paying money is OK.

Normally I'd just test everything myself, but I'm short on time these days.
 :(   I appreciate any thoughts or experiences.