[Techtalk] Re: Copying complete directories

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 20:59:23 EST 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 19:19, Lucky Lady wrote:

> SSH was my first choice. My boss wants something
> similiar to windows explorer where you can just copy
> and paste entire directories from one computer to
> another. Since both computers are internal, SSH is not
> needed. Is there a way to copy entire directories
> using FTP? mget works for multiple files not
> directories.

If he wants a GUI, and you have fairly recent versions of KDE, you can use
either

fish://username@remotehost

(in KDE 3.x or higher) or

sftp://username@remotehost

or even

ftp://username@remotehost

With ftp, you'll have to give a password.  With "fish" (which actually uses
SSH in the background, in a way that doesn't rely on SFTP being there),
you'll have to give a password unless you've set things up for passwordless
login using authorization keys.  I think sftp will work the same as fish as
far as passwords go, but I'm not absolutely positive.

In any of them, you can just drag-and-drop -- KDE handles all the mechanics
of moving whole directories, etc. in the background for you.  My wife's
using "fish" to move stuff back and forth between our laptop and her
desktop, and loving it -- with command-line SFTP, she was always having to
ask me to remind her what the commands were, and had lots of problems with
files with spaces in the name and the like.

With transferring whole directories via command-line FTP, that's a feature
of some clients, but I'm not positive which ones.  I *think* I've heard
ncftp mentioned as being able to do it.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>