[Techtalk] imap server

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Mar 26 00:36:31 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 05:33:57PM -0800, jennyw wrote:
> IMAP -- as Rasjid said, it's great to be mail client independent.  As a
> result, it also means it's really easy to migrate from server to server --
> you could do it with a simple Perl (or Python, etc.) script.

Sorry, I don't follow.  Why is it easier to migrate servers?

> Filtering on the server -- If you're interested in this, you'll want to read
> about procmail (the most popular) or maildrop (often used with Courier) or
> sieve (often used with Cyrus). Personally, I use Procmail, Postfix, and
> Courier (and Spamassassin) to handle my mail.  I also have a custom Perl
> script that I wrote that filters on one account. I'm thinking of switching
> to Python and using Spambayes instead of SpamAssassin.

I use (deep breath) mailfilter, getmail, maildrop, SpamAssassin, TMDA
and Postfix.  I used to use mailfilter, fetchmail, Postfix, procmail and
SpamAssassin.

> Note: If you use maildirs and have a lot of messages, it might not be a bad
> idea to look into using ReiserFS which should be optimized for many small
> files. Also, if you use ext2fs, you might want to make sure that you have
> more than the default number of inodes allocated to the file system.

Um, how do I do that?  I don't even know how to find out how many inodes
are allocated to a file system, let alone change it.

Kathryn Andersen