[Techtalk] imap server

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Wed Mar 24 21:57:17 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:04:46AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> Courier imap is easy to setup and by all accounts very good.

I have a question, because I am very ignorant.  I know that IMAP is some
sort of mail server thingie, but I don't know why people want to install
it.  What is it good for?  What does it do?  Why do people like it?
Why is it good if it understands maildir?  If I am a geeky Linux user
who isn't running an ISP, is there any reason for me to install it on my
own system?  What can one *do* with it?

Okay, that was more than one question.

Kathryn Andersen