[Techtalk] imap server

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Tue Mar 23 20:58:52 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:04:46AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> Courier imap is easy to setup and by all accounts very good.

I'd also recommend Courier as being very easy to install (especially on
Debian!).  UW-IMAP is also easy to install, but I prefer Courier because
Courier uses maildirs, and because folders can contain both messages and
other folders.  Also, I'm not sure how well UW supports virtual users.

Cyrus has a great reputation, but it's not as easy to install.

A project I've been keeping my eye on is Dovecot. It's relatively new
(hasn't reached 1.0 yet), but it sounds great, especially for those of
us who keep a lot of messages in a folder (I often have more than 30,000
messages in a folder). It was written by the same person who wrote
irssi.

Jen