[Techtalk] the finer points of kernel customization

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Mon Mar 22 22:40:19 EST 2004

At 3/22/04 09:03 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:
>On Monday 22 March 2004 8:21 pm, Carla Schroder wrote:
>Wups forgot the most important step!
> >
> > -get new sources
> > -apply any patches
> > -backup config-2.4.x
> > -make mrproper
> > -edit the new makefile, to give it my choice of EXTRAVERSION=wotever
> > -make oldconfig
> > -make dep
> > -make clean
>    $make bzImage  <=== build the kernel image

Well, in that case:

> > -make modules_install
> > -make install

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz.mine (or whatever)

> > -edit bootloader, have fun

Not that I think anyone who knows what they're doing could edit the
bootloader config without also copying/moving the kernel image to the
appropriate place.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"These eyes see more than window dressings
  and stoic virtue of mannequins:
  Somewhere beyond the world of single dimension,
  Beyond the façade of the sensual,
  Where nothing cuts you deeper than your own blade."
                                                 --The Last Dance,
                                                  "Fairytale (the Storm)"