[Techtalk] Trying to get octave to compile.

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Thu Mar 18 21:44:51 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:00 pm, John Clarke wrote:
> I've had a look and the latest is 2.1.57.  Try downloading that and
> rebuilding.  Make sure you delete the non-rpm versions of readline
> first.
>
> I did try to build it here, but I don't have fortran or f2c installed.
> I don't have time tonight to do any more, but I might be able to have a
> go at work tomorrow.

Alright.  Start from scratch.  I can do that.

> If 2.1.57 doesn't work, you could try building a debug version and
> running it with gdb (or even just run the non-debug version to see why
> it crashes), but I get the impression that you probably don't have much
> experience with gdb, or any inclination to gain any ;-)

I don't have much experince installing things or with gdb, but that doesn't
mean that I have no inclination to learn. I am however exhauseted, not
particularly well, and very stressed.

Maybe my expectation is wrong, but I don't expect things to take a week or
more to get  installed.  Whilst I have learnt some very usefull things in the
process it hasn't helped me deal with all my deadlines.  The probelm is that
I am not inclined to give up even when everything is against me.  Although in
the past I have had to give up, and I would have this time if it wasn't for
your help, I would have probably got Matlab working on windows in much less
time than this.

sue